In this article, you will find the keto diet explained for complete beginners. We have also given a list of keto diet foods that will help in designing a successful meal plan for your weight loss journey.
Read on to know all about keto weight loss and how to lose weight fast with keto.
This post may contain affiliate links, which help keep this content free. (Full disclosure)
What is a Ketogenic Diet?
The ketogenic diet (aka Keto Diet) is a diet in which you consume low carbs, medium fats, and a high quantity of protein. It is designed to make you burn fat in a different way as compared to the traditional basic caloric deficit diet.
Many studies show that a keto diet can help you lose weight while improving your overall health. A typical ketogenic diet has a carbohydrate intake of fewer than 50 grams per day.
Keto weight loss diet requires you to significantly decrease your carbs intake and replace them with fats.
The goal is to put your body into ketosis where it utilizes stored fat for energy requirements. The liver converts fat into “ketones” which are small fuel molecules that provide energy to your brain.
What foods to eat in a keto weight loss diet?
These keto diet foods will help you make a meal plan which suits your needs and preferences. We have tried to cover the majority of foods that are easily accessible.
Your everyday meals should revolve around these foods in your keto diet:
- Meats: Sausages, Red meat, steaks, ham, bacon, chicken, and turkey.
- Butter and cream: It is better to pick the grass-fed sources.
- Fish: Trout, Tuna, Salmon, and Mackerel.
- Eggs: Omega-3 eggs or pastured eggs
- Healthy oils: Prefer coconut oil, extra virgin olive oil, and avocado oil.
- Avocados: Make your own guacamole or have whole avocados
- Cheese: Prefer unprocessed cheese – goat cheese, cheddar cheese, blue cheese, cream cheese, or mozzarella
- Nuts and seeds: Walnuts, flax seeds, almonds, chia seeds, pumpkin seeds, etc.
- Veggies: Low carb vegetables – Most green veggies, onions, peppers, tomatoes, etc.
- Condiments: You can use salt, pepper, and various healthy herbs and spices.
Remember to create a mix of all food choices in order to enjoy your keto weight loss journey. Just like any other plan, consistency is the key here. You need to make it a part of your daily lifestyle so that it feels natural and easy to stick to.
Healthy Snacks for Keto Weight Loss
Sometimes you might feel hunger pangs in between your meals. Here are 10 healthy keto snacks tips to satisfy those cravings:
- Fish or fatty meat
- A bunch of nuts or seeds
- Milkshake made of almond milk (throw in some cocoa powder and any nut butter of your choice)
- Cheese with olives
- Cream dipped strawberries
- 2-3 boiled eggs
- Any type of cheese
- Dark chocolate has more than 80% cocoa
- Full-fat yogurt
- Some celery with cream or guacamole
You might also find yourself having to eat out in a restaurant. For this, we would recommend choosing meat-, fish- or egg-based dish.
Avoid carbs and starches and replace them with green veggies. Toss in some cheese for your dessert.
We hope you liked our keto diet foods and healthy keto snacks compilation.
Foods to Strictly Avoid on a Keto Diet Explained
As we already know that there are no good foods and bad foods in a typical weight loss program, it is all about balance.
However, when it comes to keto weight loss, some food items are strict to be avoided because they are high in carbs. Foods to avoid in a keto diet explained:
- Sweet foods: Smoothies, Cakes, Sodas, Fruit juices, Ice cream, Candy, etc.
- Fruit: No fruits allowed except some berries such as strawberries
- Beans or legumes: Lentils, Chickpeas, Peas, Kidney beans, etc.
- Alcohol: Avoid these as many alcoholic beverages are high in carbs
- Starch and grains: Rice, Pasta, Wheat-based products, Cereals, etc.
- Root vegetables and tubers: Sweet potatoes, Potatoes, Carrots etc.
- Extra sauces: Such sauces and condiments often contain sugar and unhealthy fats.
- Other Unhealthy fats: Mayonnaise, Processed vegetable oils, etc.
How much weight can you lose on keto?
You must have seen amazing transformation stories of people who have shed some serious weight due to keto diet.
While on a traditional caloric deficit diet, a person can expect to lose 1-2 pounds of weight per week. However, on a keto diet, you can lose weight ranging from 2 to 10 pounds within the first week. During the first week, your keto weight loss will largely be water weight as your body is depleted of its carbohydrate stores.
If you’re dedicated to your diet properly and not cheating too often (which you shouldn’t), your body will actively be burning fat for energy. The average monthly keto weight loss is about four to ten pounds.
Within three months of the keto diet, you will probably see some serious keto weight loss. Those with significant weight to lose can shed as much as 30lbs of fat in this time, though results differ from person to person.
You might hit a plateau after three months of keto but don’t be disheartened. Stick to your diet and results will follow.
How to Know You are in Ketosis?
Achieving ketosis usually involves a transitional period when your body switches to ketones as the main source of energy. This process can include some uncomfortable symptoms generally described as the “keto flu”.
- Breath: As soon as your body changes to ketones for energy, you might experience a fruit-scented smell.
- Decreased Appetite: You will feel less hungry throughout the day and your untimely cravings will reduce
- Better workouts: Utilizing fat as a primary source of energy fills your gas tank for longer workouts and better recovery.
- Enhanced focus: Initially, the keto flu might bring in some brain fog. However, once you settle in ketosis you will feel much more focused and at ease.
- More urination: Your kidneys tend to pump out more urine while in ketosis. Increase your fluid intake while on keto weight loss diet.
The above-mentioned points can also be referred to as the side effects of the keto diet.
These tips will help you manage some of the symptoms of keto flu:
- Try a regular low-carb diet for the initial few weeks. This will warm up your body for relying on fat instead of carbs.
- A ketogenic diet can also change your body’s water and mineral balance. Adding extra salt to your meals or taking mineral supplements can help.
- In the beginning, it is important to eat until you’re full and avoid reducing calories too much. Usually, a ketogenic diet causes weight loss without intentional calorie reduction.
Various Health Benefits of Keto Diet Explained Here
- The ketogenic diet can lower risk factors like high HDL cholesterol levels, blood pressure, and blood sugar.
- Keto diet is currently being used to treat several types of cancer and slow tumor growth.
- One study found that the diet helped improve the symptoms related to Parkinson’s disease.
- Lower insulin levels and eating less sugary foods may improve skin quality and reduce acne significantly.
- The keto diet may reduce symptoms of Alzheimer’s disease and slow its progression.
Is a Ketogenic Diet Safe?
There are many speculations and myths about a keto diet, but for most people, it appears to be very safe.
Precautions for keto diet explained
However, three groups often require special consideration:
- People taking medication for diabetes, such as insulin
- People having blood pressure issues
- Breastfeeding moms
If you fall under any of these categories please consult a healthcare professional to know if you should try the keto diet explained in this article.
FAQs on Keto Weight Loss Diet
What do you eat on a Keto Diet?
Keto diet consists of low carb, high fat and moderate protein food items such as eggs, meat & pultry, cheese, avocado, low carb vegetables, edible oils, etc.
Why the Keto Diet is bad?
As you transition into ketosis, you may experience the “Keto-Flu” which lasts for a few days when you begin the diet. Check out this article on keto diet side effects for more details.
How does the Keto Diet work?
Keto diet is high in fat and super low in carbs which forces you into a state called ketosis. Your body starts burning fat for energy instead of carbohydrates and you begin losing weight.
How fast will I lose weight on Keto?
You can lose up to 10 pounds within the first week, which is mostly water weight. In the first three months you can lose as much as 30 pounds of fat.
Is the Keto Diet good for you?
Keto diet works very well for majority of people. Along with significant weight loss, the effects on mental clarity and energy can be incredible.
Can you drink milk on Keto?
Cow’s milk is not keto friendly as it is high in carbs. You can instead go for coconut milk, almond milk or soy milk.
A keto weight loss diet is great for people who are overweight or those who want to boost their metabolic health. You can see some life-changing results in a short span of time if you are consistent.
We hope you understood the keto diet explained in this article. If you want a more in-depth understanding of this uniquely awesome diet, check out: Keto Diet 101.